Oh yes I hear you … “boring”, “wants to save the world”, “does it means you can’t eat cheese?!”, “and another vegan🙄”, “what about baking?!”
Yes yes I know, I definitely have said these things too to people that told me they were vegan. My Danish friend Stine (who is already a vegetarian) has set us up to go vegan for October – an alternative to sober October … too restrictive 😅– and I have done it. Still alive people!
It is not the first time I challenge myself at changing my eating habits. I already did vegetarian for a bit and slowly went on to flexitarian and haven’t actually cooked meat of fish for more than a year now!
So now, let me tell you a little bit more about why I went vegan for October and how you can also set yourself the challenge 🙂
1. Heard about Climate change? With no intension of starting a debate here, our poor planet is sadly dying much quicker that we have ever imagined (well actually many scientists had warned and alarmed us a long time ago … but you know). Changing the way we eat and consume is the least we can do and it is with these little changes that we might help to not destroy our nature. So here it is, if you want to hear and learn more about the why, the how, the how badly our planet is doing, here is a list of things I have read, watched and learned.
- Planet Earth – David Attenborough
- Before the flood
- National Geographic (huge fan of the magazine itself)
2. Just try: do you remember the day you started this new job and saw your seniors and thought “ Wow, am I ever going to be able to be comfortable running a meeting, an event, manage a team like this?” A couple of years down the line, there you are, doing all of these things with closed eyes? Well if you hadn’t set yourself or if someone hadn’t give you the push to believe in yourself, you’ll still be at the same position. I have taken this month like this, got out of my comfort zone and done it 🙂
3. Knowing what your body needs: Obviously changing your diet can be quite drastic to your health. I would recommend to do your research and look into the nutriments that you need. I just know the basics, but I would recommend to look into different sources of information and maybe go to see a nutritionist ( I like this lady here : Laura Thomas ) .
After a month of being vegan, I do feel the same really and didn’t find it particularly difficult, apart from some occasions. A couple of times, where I had to eat non vegan, or I’ll have nothing to eat … and that sorry, but I can’t…
I really enjoyed the challenge of cooking differently and searching for new recipes! I was have also been much better at doing meal prep and bringing my lunch to work which I was pretty proud of. Also, not having to buy meat, fish or dairy makes your food shop makes it very cheap!
Though, even if I wish I could continue with my veganism journey ( for all of the reasons below) I know it is not going to work for me. I know all of the vegan would hate me for saying that, but I am just being honest! What I am going to continue though, is eating mostly vegetarian/ vegan and keeping my consumption of meat/ fish to a minimum and only sourced locally or when travelling.
I would love to hear your thoughts and whether you have tried veganism, whether it works for you or if like me you believe in moderate consumption?
Pictures Jennifer Moyes
Hair & Make Up Izabella Bordignon
You have mentioned very interesting points! ps nice website.
I am in the same place. My husband and I don’t eat diary or gluten, but I need some meat occasionally. I also LOVE meringue and so I need those egg whites.
I do feel that stepping back and being vegan for a while really let’s you know where you want your food to come from, etc.
Et comme la présentation est belle!
Hi Ali! Yes exactly I think it is about being counsious of where our food is coming from and how we fuel our bodies 🙂 but not to restrict what makes us happy, if we can!
What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve
found It positively useful and it has aided me
out loads. I hope to contribute & aid other customers like
its helped me. Good job.